In late 1890 Gottlieb Schanz purchased the Washington Brewery and began the process of renovating it. The first batch of beer was delivered in 1891.
Gottlieb was no stranger to the brewery scene. Gottlieb had been involved with the Quincy breweries since 1877 and had been employed by the Dick & Bros. Quincy Brewery Company as a foreman prior to striking out on his own. He had also held ownership interests in the Harrison Brewery, and the Schanz-Wahl Brewing Company (1886-1891).
The Schanz Brewery was located on the Southeast side of 6th and State St. It appears that it went by the Washington Brewery and the Schanz Brewery, almost as if they were interchangeable. According to a description in The Quincy Daily Herald (01/15/1912) the malthouse was on the southwest side of the property, the saloon was located on the northwest corner of the property. The cooling room was on the northeast side of the building and the engine room was on the southeast side of the building. The icehouse was further east. The brewery was very similar in output to Ruff’s and Wahl’s.
As with all of the breweries there were a number of incidents that are interesting. In 1895, there was flood damage to the brewery. Gottlieb claimed a damage amount of $2,000.00. The city looked into the issue and found that the damage might have been less if he had brought his sidewalk and Curb to grade (The Quincy Daily Journal, 06/12/1895). Another incident in 1903 involved a burned out transformer that nearly claimed the life of his son (The Quincy Daily Herald 05/19/1903). In 1912 the brewery caught fire due to a faulty electric wire that came into contact with wood (The Quincy Daily Whig 01/14/1912). Fires appear to have been common issues with breweries during that time.
The Schanz Brewery appeared to have steady business and maintained a staff similar to Ruff’s and Wahl’s. Based on information from the Quincy Daily Journal we know that the Schanz Brewery maintained between 8 and 18 workers between 1901 and 1909. They also polled the breweries on their outlook for the coming years and Gottlieb typically had a favorable outlook. His primary concern, as with other brewers, was the impact of the Summer weather.
The demise of the brewery occurred between 1912 and 1913. As of now I have not been able to locate an exact date. The Schanz Brewery caught on fire on 01/14/1912 and it is unclear if Gottlieb resumed operations after that. By 1913, Gottlieb is listed as a former brewer.
The Schanz Brewery operated from 1891 until 1912/1913. When Gottlieb opened the brewery there were five others in operation: Dick & Bros Quincy Brewery Co., the Bluff Brewery, Ruff Brewing Co., the Gem City Brewery, and Wahl Brewing Co. When Gottlieb closed the doors only Dick’s and Ruff’s remained.