The story of Dick & Bros. begins when Jacob, John, and Matthew Dick immigrated to the United States from Bavaria in 1852. The brothers initially settled in Belleville, Illinois. While in Belleville they engaged in professions unrelated to brewing.
The brothers decided that they would use the money they had saved to start a brewery. According to some accounts the brothers had intended to establish a brewery in Iowa. Luckily for Quincy, the property at 9th and York had access to a spring with the right qualities for producing beer.
On June 19th, 1857 the brothers purchased the property on the Southeast corner of 9th and York from William Shanahan for $4,000. By the Summer of 1857 the local newspaper reported that owners were excavating caves on the South side of York. This would be the three laterals that extend South on York.
The firm wasn't initially known as the Dick and Bros. Quincy Brewery Co. It was initially known as The City Brewery until 1869 when it was incorporated under the name we associate with the brewery.
The brothers weren't satisfied with local distribution of their product. By 1870 they had expanded West. In 1873 they sent two of their own to open a branch in Kansas City Missouri. This gateway to the West would become important as they set up the distribution channel to expand into Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.
The marriage of August Glasner to Bertha Dick in 1878 would add an interesting twist. August Glasner ran a liquor warehouse in Kansas City known as Glasner & Barzen. In 1883, Glasner & Barzen became the sole agent for Dick & Bros. Quincy Beer in Kansas City. This relationship continued until somewhere between 1902 and 1904. At that point, Dick's insourced the management of the branch.
The management of the firm started to change as the brothers passed away. Jacob passed away in 1876, Matthew in 1885, John in 1889. It would fall to the second generation to oversee the firm. Herman was involved in the brewery operations until he moved to Ohio.
The brewery complex as we know it began to change over the years. As the brewery grew and needed to increase production the plant was altered. The largest alteration occurred in the 1890s when the new brewhouse, stockhouse and office building were added. The office building was completed in 1901.